This hidden gem is located in Kollam district. Though easily reachable by road, its slightly off location from the main circuit has kept it out of the typically tourist itinerary of this area. However another giant rock nearby – the Jatayupara- is better known , Kottukal is about 10 kilometers from Jatayupara.
Kottukal Rock Cut Cave Temple is scoped out of a giant protruding boulder located in an a otherwise plain terrain. This brownish outcrop stands in stark contrast with the sea of palm fringed green paddy fields all around. On stylistic ground the rock cut temple is estimated to be about 700 years old. The exact age and , more importantly who made it is not really known. This area many decades back was part of the forest cover that fringes the Western Ghats.Rectangular entrances are cut on the vertical face of the rock. One can spot the images of deities next to the entrances of the cave. A rectangular alcove like shrine in the center has the image of Ganapati carved on the rock. On either sides of it are two larger porches. Inside of each porch are the entrances to the inner shrines. In front of one of the portico you can spot the image of a Nandi carved on the ground. It’s a shrine dedicated to Lord Shiva.
The monument is protected by the Department of Archaeology of the Government of Kerala. It is a reputed national and international tourist attraction too.The Special Cover features a colour image of the Temple facade against a blue and white backdrop. The Special Pictorial cancellation is a graphic sketch of the Bridge and a boat and post boxes, issued during Pathanamthittapex 2017, on 25th January 2017.(KL/03/2017)
How to get there?
- Best Time to visit: December to May
- Distance: Kottukal Rock cut Cave is located 10 km from Chadayamangalam and 8 km from Anchal. The place is 45 km away from Kollam and 65 km away from Tiruvananthapuram.
- Nearest Bus stations; The village is connected through local bus service from Chadayamangalam and Anchal.
- Nearest railway station: No railway station near to Ittiva in less than 10 km. Kollam (Quilon) Jn Rail Way Station is located 38 km away from Ittiva. Punalur station 19 km; Thenmalai 23 km; Ottakkal 22 km.
- Nearest airport: Trivandrum International Airport, about 60 km